Re: server-questions

On Sunday 07 February 2010 12:52 Martin Schulte wrote:
> Hi,
> i will setup an skolelinux-network in Easter break. But there is an
> bigger project in 2011. We will offer netbooks (ASUS eee) to our
> sixth former. At first 80 and if everything goes well, in 2012 to
> every one (nearly 300).  So i think we need an extra fileserver (or
> two or three) which stores some of the private diskspace, ( i mean
> the
> /skole/tjener/home0/* folders, we don't want to offer roaming
> profiles (is this the english name for getting your personal
> home-directory on every client? in german i call it sth. like
> "rambling home-directory's" - so i hope you know what i mean) for
> this netbooks, only an access to their own files on tjener. )
> I think, only to mount an filesystem from another server to
> /skole/tjener/home0 is no good way, because the traffic will also
> continue over the eth0 of tjener. Does someone knows a pretty good
> HowTo for this problem ? Is eisfair a good solution?

You should read our realy good documentation over all but maybe to
satisfy you first read this:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/HowTo/NetworkClients#ConnectingWindowsmachinestothenetwork

One point there is, that we use by default roaming profiles in
skolelinux. Another is how to disable it.

> We also need an extra webserver, because there will be some
> application running over the intranet, with multiple access. My first
> thought: i would set a link into the html sourcecode of the
> /etc/debian-edu/www/index.html to the second webserver.

There is a profile for installing a 'minimal' machine on which you can
configure and realise what you want to.

> Thanks, martin

Greetings, Jürgen Leibner

--
GnuPG Key ID: 0x37FF4410
Finger-Print: CF03 BA85 654D 0EED E161 3DD5 07FF 8246 37FF 4410