Re: Problems adding users an machines

On Sunday 27 December 2009 00:18:54 Martin Schulte wrote:
> Skolelinux 3.0 (Etch). I have a little test environment with 3
> Computers. And it was the first time I added a user.

> Login on server succeeded. I have no older user, it is my first user.
> Login on Client delivers: "Could not start kstartupconfig. Check your
> installation".
Great, so we can restate the problem as "login from newly added client machine
(Debian-edu workstation?) fails".

In Etch you also have to edit /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf as described in
section "Assign static ip addresses with dhcp" under:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Etch/GettingStarted#MachineManagementwithlwat

> > ----
> > Hostname: static00
> > MAC: 00:90:F5:5E:77:46
> > IP: 10.0.2.255
> > Domain: intern
> > ----
Also try a more "conservative" IP address such as 10.0.2.50.
Was this one offered by lwat as default?

It may be too intrusive so feel free to ignore it but as this is a test
environment consider moving to Lenny, Etch is soon to be scraped and Lenny
has many new features.

Odd.