Re: debian-edu build process, once more

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 05:42:25PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 22. Oktober 2009, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Package: education-thin-client
> >  ==> If there is no strong reason to use Depends here than this should
> >      definitely turned to a task tasks/thin-client.
>
> I think so...

we definitely should *not* make a tasksel task out of it. we do not use tasksel
tasks in the ltsp chroot at all, and i don't see any reason to do so. i find it
confusing that we make metapackages and tasksel tasks that are supposed to do
the same thing, personally.

i definitely recall it not working as a recommends, but can't recall exactly
what the issue was at the moment. if recommends aren't met, we need to make
sure that nothing assumes those packages are installed, such as
debian-edu-config hooks and such.

if people want to switch it back to recommends, go ahead. i don't have the time
to test it.  you've been warned.  :)

initially, i tried making education-thin-client a package with tasks just like
all the others, but that caused something in the installer to explode when
checks for education-thin-client matched checks for
education-thin-client-server, and it tried to install the education-thin-client
task or package when "Thin Client Server" was a selected profile, which was
disasterous.  i don't know exactly where those checks were, but i recall it
using grep too loosely.

the whole method of abusing recommends to avoid installability problems leaves
me with an unsettled feeling. apparently, it was even a release goal for lenny
to not have unsatisfyable recommends in main http://release.debian.org/lenny/goals.txt:

 # No unmet recommends relations inside main
  Advocate: Luk Claes
   relations in main.
  Bug-User: debian-release@lists.debian.org
  Bug-Tag: goal-recommends