Re: debian-edu build process, once more

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 12:41:58PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Debian Policy require debian/control to be static.  But that relates to
> the _distribution of the source, not the _development_ process of it.

This was the idea behind cdd-dev 0.5.0.  Changelog says:

  * The source tarball of a CDD is now builded with prebuilded
    debian/control file and is not rebuilded per package build
    process.
  * Added "dist" target to devtools/Makefile which builds
    "get-orig-source" target of devtools/rules.  If CDDs
    build their source tarball using these tools nothing
    has to be cleaned in build process
    Closes: #468346

 -- Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org>  Fri, 07 Mar 2008 13:23:33 +0100

I think we discussed exactly this in an Extremadura meeting ...

> Subversion (and similar VCSes) are used in packaging _development_,
> whereas the tarball is for packaging source _distribution_.

Yes - to debian/control.stub belongs to SVN, debian/control does
not.

> (Re)generation of debian/control should probably be documented in
> debian/README.source - if that is not already the case now.

There is an extensive debian/README.source in SVN and source
tarball.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--