Re: how to setup a workstation

Nigel Barker wrote:

2009/10/19 Jacob Maier <jmaier@icsptk.org <mailto:jmaier@icsptk.org>>

    Current status  the diskless  mode "ltsp-make-client" script
    finish. The resulting clients freeze on boot that is they ignore
    the keyboard/mouse and the screen is blank. If I press f1 early
    enough in the boot I can see some of the boot messages. The last
    message is NFS-common start but it never returns.

I think the "big guns" are working on getting diskless into shape for Lenny, so maybe you have to use them as thin clients for now?
Yes but I have 25 workstations performance deteriorates rapidly with some of the larger classes. Depending on what they are doing.

    So I decide to put in a couple hard drives in some units to see if
    I can do a work station install. These boot up okay but I can only
    login in as root. I think I have to set up the ldap
     authentication. Is there any document that will provide me the
    necessary information. Include the skolelinux specific ldap
    information. Usually I would need base which I think is
    dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no

Have you entered the machines in lwat / dhcp? There shouldn't be any ldap tinkering necessary.

Yes on the machine I tested today. Though the machine does not always pick up the ip address I assigned in lwat. At least today's test did not hang but gave me the same message as if I had the password wrong.
I'll try an install tomorrow again.

cheers
nigel
(ps we should have a regional workshop together sometime ;)