Re: question -- 8th grade teacher needing skolelinux 5.0 ASAP

Hello Kevin and anyone else who might be able to help :)

I've already hammered away at skolelinux 3.0, and have had two people working with me (one from a professional services company on the skolelinux page).  Though if someone knew  how to get an Edubuntu workstation to connect with LDAP to the skolelinux server, that would be very helpful (but that's a separate issue I might deal with later).

My primary question (which doesn't require anything about my hardware, at least I don't think) is:

Is the i386 development version of skolelinux 5.0 (based on lenny) generally stable enough....or does the installation install correctly generally speaking.....basically, are there no major bugs with the lenny version of skolelinux?

And if there are still major bugs, when will the release version of skolelinux 5.0 become available -- currently on the skolelinux page it is still 3.0, but there are beta versions of the 5.0 on the ftp.skolelinux.no site.

A separate question is how am I able to install firefox with flash after skolelinux is installed?  I had tried a couple weeks ago and even after following directions, it still had iceweasel without flash support?

Because of the firefox flash issue (and I understand the licensing issues whey debian doesn't include the firefox branded browser), I had gone to edubuntu for a while but 9.04 jaunty on their end currently has significant issues with sound support over LTSP.  I've searched google galore and cannot find straightforward directions on how to get the full branded firefox installed onto skolelinux.

Thanks,

Tim

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 09:35:58AM -0700, tlang80@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello, I'm an 8th grade teacher and have tried installing skolelinux 3.0 but
> run into problems with it quite often.

As a general rule, describing your issues helps folks figure out how they can
help you. The issue could be your hardware, a debian-edu specific issue, a
debian specific issue or a general gnu/linux issue. So, people can help you
better with more information.

Also, if you provide a geographic location, there might be debian or debian-edu
folks in your area who might be able to assist.

HTH,
Kev

--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux == | http://kevix.myopenid.com      |
| : :' :     The Universal OS    | mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/ |