Re: Bet reminder.

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 12:18:17AM +0300, Oded Naveh wrote:
>On Monday 03 August 2009 13:06:58 Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> I did not know these series, so thanks for bringing them to my
>> attention.  Reading the Wikipedia article on Cold Lazarus I suspect
>> that you were already aware of the complex legal circumstances
>> surrounding them, so I imagine that the legal requirement was in fact
>> part of your original challenge (and I simply didn't hear that
>> detail).  On the other
>Introducing you to these series was at the root of it all, I hope you'd
>like them and yes, offcourse I was aware of the copyrights deadlock. I
>also believe this was premeditated by Dennis Potter - let me know your
>opinion once you've watched them all.

Yes, reading the Wikipedia summaries seem to indicate that legalese
twists would be deliberate mind game of that Potter guy :-)

>> hand I seem to recall that while you formulated the challenge, I
>> formulated to bet (which did not include the requirement of the data
>> being retrieved legally), and anyway legalese is tied to
>> jurisdictions, so when not including jurisdiction I could circumvent
>> it by downloading in, say, Brazil or some other countries giving a
>> fuck about british copyright rules.
>This is wriggling with lots of lubricant. :-)

Huh?  What jurisdiction is the sane default, then, in your opinion?

>> If you feel that you've won, then I will respect that and buy you a
>> nice
>Oh, you're giving up so easy?

I am aknowledging that you lured me into a trap, and offer to credit you
for it if it doesn't give you a bitter aftertaste.

>> bottle of single malt Scotch for next time we meet.  Alternatively I
>> can bring you whatever I succeed to gather of these movie series...
>> :-)
>
>I call off the bet as you were under the influence of consciousness
>altering substances and may not be held responsible :-)

Nah, that's what I would call an easy escape: I was perfectly aware of
being under the influence while making the bet.  What I consider "dirty"
is not that (you were drunk as well - or too stupid to accept free booze
if not), but your choice of known deadlocked cases.

>If you don't manage to get it all I'll give you one backup copy for
>safekeeping.

Now that you've moved our conversation to a public(!) mailinglist I must
refuse to accept such offer as it would be illegal for by danish
jurisdiction which I am officially bound by as a danish citizen :-P

Kind regards,

  - Jonas

- --