Re: (howto) adding better support for a specific language

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 06:49:41PM +0200, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> Am Freitag 01 Mai 2009 23:20:03 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> > Huh?  That's new to me except if you include non-IX systems
> > into your considerations and this "most" is related to the user
> > base.
>
> Nope: We are running Skolelinux, and according to our policy, your username
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, you probably can configure your system to ignore cases of
user names - but the fact that it works in *your* case does not
qualify your statement that it works in *most* cases.  OK, you are
discussing on a SkoleLinux related list and I'm not informed about
the default configuration in SkoleLinux and it *might* *be* that
this is be default switched on on *your* system.  But by default
it is like this:

andreas@cosmodrom:~$ su - Andreas
Unknown id: Andreas
andreas@cosmodrom:~$ su - ANDREAS
Unknown id: ANDREAS
andreas@cosmodrom:~$ su - andreas
Password:
andreas@cosmodrom:~$

> would be LX-AnTil (this is what pupils understand easily, LX is the official
> mnenonic for your class "Linux" in this case). Of course, my csv file to
> import user names would state "lx-antil" (lowercase), but many pupils use the
> uppercase letters. If I type "last", I can see, that some pupils would use
> upper case letters, others don't, but you can login either way.

So *if* this works it is rather a specific setup of LDAP and if this
has turned out to be successful in schools this is fine.  It rather
sounds like an adaptation to the behaviour of other systems to increase
the acceptance of Skolelinux for users then default behaviour.

> Same is true for email adressas: DEBIAN-EDU@lists.debian.ORG will work
> likewise.

This is a *completely* different pair of showes.  Yes, e-mail addresses
are case insensitive but this is not related to the problem above.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de