Re: LDM vs. KDM

Hi,

Vagrant Cascadian schrieb:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 05:39:15PM +0200, Knut Yrvin wrote:
>> On Torsdag 30. april 2009, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
>>> do you still see a speed improvement using KDM vs. LDM with
>>> LDM_DIRECTX=True ? this feature still uses ssh for the initial
>>> connection (i.e. namely, the password negotiation),
>> I haven't heard about computer administrators testing that. What I've
>> heard is an other story that you already know.
>>
>> Many schools are running LTSP thin clients on really old or cheap
>> computers with scare resources. We saw this in Norwegian schools three
>> years ago, when upgrading to Skolelinux 3.0 with LDM. Half of the clients
>> stopped working, or become to slow.
>>
>> The reason was twofold. Many clients got only 32 MB RAM. LDM used around
>> 50 MB RAM to run. The clients got a black screen when booting, even if the
>> LTSP started nicely in the first place.
>
> that sounds like the version in etch which was written in python.  in
> recent versions, including the version in lenny, parts were re-written
> in C and now use far less ram. it might even work 32MB, though i usually
> do development testing with 64MB of ram.

The ltsp version included with lenny does not work with 32MB Ram. I had
several thinclients which were unable to boot (long before starting X).
Upgraded to 64MB they worked, but I recommend 128MB for Thinclients to
run smoothly.

That's my experience from several German schools.

Best wishes,
--
 .''`.   Philipp Hübner <debalance@arcor.de>
: :'  :  pgp fp: BA61 0B0A 2626 D49C BFC6  1C18 1619 74E4 C259 E0E8