Re: LDM vs. KDM

Torsdag 30. april 2009, skrev du :
> that sounds like the version in etch which was written in python.  in
> recent versions, including the version in lenny, parts were
> re-written in C and now use far less ram. it might even work 32MB,
> though i usually do development testing with 64MB of ram.

This is good news.

I'll look closer on this improvement, since some schools still uses 10
year old hardware as thin clients (believe that).

> > Also, clients with 64 MB RAM did not run smoothly when having a ssh
> > tunnel running, cause the added computational power needed to
> > decrypt the traffic.
>
> again, this aspect should be addressed by running with
> LDM_DIRECTX=True.

I've added a short paragraph about this here:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/HowTo/NetworkClients

> some newer versions of openoffice and firefox will likely cause
> problems with so little ram (due to pixmap caching issues),
> regardless of LDM or KDM or what version of LTSP you're using.

We should do some testing of the Hardware requirements section, and
improve it concerning changed sys.requirements in top applications:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/Requirements

I'll look at that too as the fixme clauses indicates.

Best regards

Knut Yrvin