LDM vs. KDM

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 05:39:15PM +0200, Knut Yrvin wrote:
> On Torsdag 30. april 2009, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> > do you still see a speed improvement using KDM vs. LDM with
> > LDM_DIRECTX=True ? this feature still uses ssh for the initial
> > connection (i.e. namely, the password negotiation),
>
> I haven't heard about computer administrators testing that. What I've
> heard is an other story that you already know.
>
> Many schools are running LTSP thin clients on really old or cheap
> computers with scare resources. We saw this in Norwegian schools three
> years ago, when upgrading to Skolelinux 3.0 with LDM. Half of the clients
> stopped working, or become to slow.
>
> The reason was twofold. Many clients got only 32 MB RAM. LDM used around
> 50 MB RAM to run. The clients got a black screen when booting, even if the
> LTSP started nicely in the first place.

that sounds like the version in etch which was written in python.  in
recent versions, including the version in lenny, parts were re-written
in C and now use far less ram. it might even work 32MB, though i usually
do development testing with 64MB of ram.

> Also, clients with 64 MB RAM did not run smoothly when having a ssh tunnel
> running, cause the added computational power needed to decrypt the traffic.

again, this aspect should be addressed by running with LDM_DIRECTX=True.

some newer versions of openoffice and firefox will likely cause problems with
so little ram (due to pixmap caching issues), regardless of LDM or KDM or what
version of LTSP you're using.

live well,
  vagrant