Re: role of olpc/XO/sugar in debian-edu

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 4:06 PM,  <gerhard.oettl.ml@ogersoft.at> wrote:
> Jonas Smedegaard schrieb:
>> Hi Gerhard,
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:40:27AM +0200, gerhard.oettl.ml@ogersoft.at wrote:
>>> There is an entry about OLPC in the debian-edu wiki
>>> (http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/OLPC/About) and some activity for a
>>> XO-Live-CD on skolelinux.
>>
>>> I think the project a valuable one.

Hello Gerhard,

It is great to hear about your interest in Sugar on Debian.  I would
like to elaborate on Jonas' explanation and provide some more insight
into the goals of Sugar Labs.

>>> My question is what are the plans with it for debian-edu? In which
>>> kind is the XO system intended to be be usefull for debian-edu
>>> (complment it, ...)?
>>> Or are there no such plans?
>>
>> XO is a brand name of a laptop (promoted as the "$100 laptop").
>>
>> OLPC is an organisation developing and deploying XOs
.
Yep, the XO and now the XO-1.5 are specific pieces of hardware
designed and deployed my OLPC.

>> The software developed to run on XOs is called Sugar.  The development
>> of sugar initially happened under the umbrella of OLPC, but is now
>> branched off as its own independent organisation, Sugarlabs:
>> http://sugarlabs.org/
>
> Is sugar not "only" the desktop?

This is a little confusing because OLPC referred to the entire Fedora
based operating system and desktop for the XO as Sugar.

Sugar Labs we are re-branding Sugar as the Sugar Learning Platform
which includes the desktop, APIs, and standards for collaboratively
developing early childhood learning tools.

>From an upstream POV, Debian and SkoleLinux are primary distribution
targets for Sugar Labs.  Our goal, at Sugar Labs, is to make Sugar
compelling enough for both Debian and SkoleLinux to include Sugar as
well support options.

This process may happen more slowly than we would like because Sugar
is a relatively young product.  Its churn rate is very high.
SkoleLinux and the other hand is very stable. I would expect Sugar to
spend a fair amount of time in experimental and testing before it hits
Debian stable on which SkoleLinux is base.

david
david