Re: Do we need to split the i386/amd64 DVD?

Hi,

On Dienstag, 31. März 2009, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > I'm alsmost inclined to say yes to those... it's nice to support foreign
> > languages even if they are not the main language in a given country.
> Well, I hope you will increase their priority then, and fix it so they
> are installed by default when the appropriate language is installed.

I ment to also install them if the language isnt installed. For norwegians at
a german school (or japanese people at a swedish school) it is very nice if
they can use the desktop in their language. So I didnt ment to only put them
on the DVD, but also install them.

I think those 100-300mb (needs checking) more space shouldnt be an issue on
todays harddrives - smaller ones than 100gb are basically not sold anymore.
And even if you only have 30gb...

> >> memtester
> > sounds useful too
> What does it do that the already installed packages do not?

Oh, ah, I mistook it for memfree86 :) Then it's probably useless...

> >>   moodle-debian-edu-theme
> > if we install moodle we should use that one too :)
> Sure.  Is moodle automatically configurable at install time?

I have no idea... but it would certainly be nice to have.

> > and the same comment as above plus the same languages for l10
> Yeah.

the openoffice list contained some lanaguages (like .de and .da) which we
support...

> >>   quota
> > how do we manage quotas?
> Which quotas?   We do not implement any by default.

Ah, ok. (pity)

> >> smart-notifier smartmontools
> > are also useful :)
> After reading the reasearch from Google about the fact that SMART
> values can not be used to predict disk failures, I decided it was a
> waste of space to have them installed by default.  Was I wrong?

Well, even if its not really possible to predict failures, smart will tell you
when small errors are on the drive, which usually/often happen before big
errors. So I have smart installed and activated everywhere.

I'm currently offline and my svn checkout is not up to date so I'll take
another look once I'm online or rather, sometime soon :-)

regards,
	Holger