Re: LTSP issues in Debian-Edu.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 02:07:32PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Dienstag, 17. März 2009, Oded Naveh wrote:

> > 1) I suspect the main issue is with CD access.
> > 	Installing on a system with two optical drives failed from secondary
> > master, succeeded from secondary slave. The failing syslog says:
> > Mar 16 12:42:28 in-target: mount: /dev/hdc already mounted or /media/cdrom0
> > busy Mar 16 12:42:28 in-target: error: LTSP client installation ended
> > abnormally Some more of the log is at bottom of message.
>
> Uh. I'm not sure we can do something here, this sounds pretty much like a
> debian-installer issue...

ltsp-client-builder definitely uses some stupid hard-coding to install from
cd... we could probably add plugins that are a little smarter about that...
i'll look into it.

> > 2) Other problems were caused due to small hard drive (13gb) and the
> > partitioning recipe. This may be considered non issue for working servers
> > but may affect testing.
>
> Definitly. http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/Requirements
> currently says 8gb is enough for most profiles, so we need to update that and
> IMO we should also give different numbers depending on the profile.

> Do you have specific suggestions?

with main+ltsp server, i had troubles with a 14G disk a couple months back.
been testing with a 16G disk lately and that seems to work.

will try with a smaller disk again to really get a guage what the current
requirements really are.

probably (someone who understood how to read them) could also look at the
recipies and add up the minimums for each profile to get a better guage.

> > 3) When 'ltsp-client-builder' fails for any reason it has no second chance.
> > 	Any attempt of the installer to rerun the builder will fail without user
> > intervention, because /opt/ltsp/i386 already exists, if debconf priority is
> > high the installer will be looping.
>
> It would be nice to get this fixed (to succeed to install, but also not to
> loop endless in case of failure.) Can you please open a bug about the latter?

yeah, that's kind of ugly. though doesn't debian-installer usually lower
the debconf priority whenever a step fails?

> > 4) After some installations (but not the last) splash caused bla[nk|ck]
> > screen during boot. This affected i810 machine both as thin-client and with
> > local boot. I couldn't regain display on any VT, removing "quiet splash"
> > options prevented the death of display.
>
> IMO we should at least prominently document how to disable splash, though if
> its not working on a lot of machines, I'd consider making the splash optional
> even.

yeah, i've definitely had problems with splash screens...

> > 5) ltsp-build-client fail on debian-edu-artwork(-usplash) authentication.
> > --early-packages debian-edu-archive-keyring option didn't help.
> > --accept-unsigned-packages option allowed completion.
> > But /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/ is missing and is not compatible with dhcp
> > settings.
>
> I think this is fixed on newer images.

it was fixed on 20090316-:20:49 for me... at least installing from the
CD... haven't tried manually, though you might want to add "--apt-keys
/etc/apt/trusted.gpg"

will do more testing...

live well,
  vagrant