[Fwd: RE: ltspserver specs?]

Sorry, sent to Oded instead of list

Subject: RE: ltspserver specs?
From:    "nigel barker" <nigel@hiroshima-is.ac.jp>
Date:    Thu, March 12, 2009 11:02 pm
To:      "Oded Naveh" <skilinux@gmail.com>

> nigel barker: Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:59 PM
>> what specs are people using for 15 or 20 thin clients nowadays?
>> I am very unhappy with my most recent dual core servers which
>> perform much worse than the really old p4 and athlon boxes
>> that I still have running.
>> I need to replace those old machines before they die and I
>> don't want to keep getting worse performance. What do I need?
>
> Hello Nigel,
> I don't have an answer for you, rather some questions:
> How do these servers compare in terms of memory installed?
> Do you use ia32 or amd64 on the new machines?
> Odd.

Hi Oded
I don't have any with amd64, since I had difficulties with missing
packages. They are all debian-edu etch, same packages and usage pattern.
In the IT lab I have two servers. The athlon64 had 4GB, but developed a
fault on the mobo. Now it has only 2GB for 9 thin clients, plus it is a
workstation. It has IDE hard disk and Gb LAN into a 100Mbps switch.It
works really well. The other half of the room has a core 2 duo with 4GB,
sata disk and Gbps switch. It serves 9 thin clients and is not a
workstation. It is a piece of shit, locking up completely most days.
This pattern is repeated in other parts of the school.

What do you use?

nigel