backscatter Re: Eliminating SPAM from archive (Was: Yet another list statistics for debian-edu)

Hi,

On Dienstag, 27. Januar 2009, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I exchanged private mail with Don Armstrong on behalf of listmaster
> how we can avoid spam *in* *the* *archive*.  I have no idea whether
> the SPAM I detected in the archive might be useful to increase
> SPAM filter reliability.

I assume so, but I believe (didnt gather proper stats) backscatter is the real
problem we have since a few days.

> > I'm seriously
> > considering unsubscribing to from this list due to this
> > latest bout of spam bounces on it...

The problem with backscatter is, that it's really hard to fight, because it's
basically legitimate mail. Some idiot mass subscribes us (=d-e@l.d.o) to
mailinglists and _thankfully_ those lists dont blindly subscribe us, but ask
first.

Nowadays its also common practice _not_ to send "the address abc@example.org
doesnt exist here" but that doesnt change the fact, that there are still
millions of stupidly adminstered systems.

So AFAICS the only thing we could do is moderate the list for mails from
unsubscribed addresses. Which I think would be quite pity, even though I
would volunteer to be a moderator. (listadmin is a real nice commandline tool
to do it and I run it daily anyway.)

regards,
	Holger