Re: Diskless Workstation - impossible to install

Hi all, I made many tests to have the diskless workstation working and
I have problems that get repeated so I have to surrender of using DWS
in a school.

I have a server (amd64 dual core 4Gb ram)
and a client (my laptop)

-1 PROBLEM: if I have a virgin /opt/ltsp/i386 envirorment, the script
ltsp-make-client works.
  If I previosly made an "aptitude upgrade" in the chroot, the script
ltsp-make-client fails processing the task
---
Unpacking education-tasks (from
.../education-tasks_0.822.0.edu.etch.3_i386.deb) ...
Setting up education-tasks (0.822.0.edu.etch.3) ...
---

Oded Naveh (that I realy have to thanks for the support) has modified
this script so it can run also in this case but the user have to anser
questions (not that is a big problem).
I still find strange that behavior...you may have an idea of the
reason it works with a vrigin chroot envirorment and not with an
updated one.

If I remember fien, after ltsp-make-client it's also necessary to run
"aptitude upgrade" otherwise it's not possible to login in the DWS.

-2 problem: If I have the /opt/ltsp/i386 "normal" (so without running
ltsp-make-client), the thin client loads and work fine and fast. After
ltsp-make-client, it is very slow at loading and worse, it can't show
LDM. It enters in a loop I already described where the display blink
trying to show somehting, but ony black screen is displayed.

-3 problem: the diskless worstation work...but it's so slow at loading
(6 minutes about). Kdm takes too much time to show up and to much time
to log into kde. Also the applications are not working as they should.
I remember I had a debian edu installation the last year where the DWS
was loading in 40 seconds or less!!!

More about my tests:
Like client I used my laptop (asus A6Vm, centrino pentium M 1,73Ghz, 1,5 Gb ram)
I also used a virtualized client running on the laptop (virtual box 1.6).
Nothing change between the two.
The only thing I found strange is that a virtual machin, running like
thin client, was loading fine but freezing inside kde. This was
happening before "aptitute upgrade" in the chroot envirorment.

IMPORTANT
I also have a virtualized work station (no diskless). It loads in
about one minute and is very very fast at showing kdm and logging
inside kde.
On this workstation I run "aptitude upgrade" and installed also the
latest debian ethnhalf kernel, like I did in the chroot envirorment.

That should exlude a hardware related problem.

What do you think about?

Are DWS going to be parto of debian edu lenny?

Valerio.