Re: Diskless Workstation - impossible to install

2008/10/20 Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@freegeek.org>:
> you shouldn't need to specify that there at all, rather specify the
> root-path option in in dhcpd.conf:
>    option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";

Well, for me it doesn't matter were to put it, the important thing is
that it works.
Actualy on the how-to is specified
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.cfg/default.
My suggestion was to modify the ltsp-make-client script to take care of it.
It will be a step less to have DWS.

> And it works: the DWS load fine and I can log into it.
> After that I tried to run again the TC and i got a bad surprise: IT'S
> AMAZING SLOW (something like 10 minutes) AT LOADING AND THE LOGIN
> FAILS.

I found out the problem is related somehow to hardware:
I had the chance to test LTSP on another client instead of using my
laptop and there it loads perfectly and the login works.
The stange thing is that also my laptop was loading fine like
thinclients before running the ltsp-make-client script.

In the past I wrote in this list reporting a similar behavior caused
by a bug on the 2.6.18 kernel: if the thinclient had some architecture
(pentium M / centrino) was behaving like that: very very very slow!!!!
This was happening ONLY when the A/C (charger) was plugged in to my
laptop (the thinclient) because the BUG was about ACPI.

This time I'm using another kernel (2.6.24) and my laptop was also not
connected to the charger. In other words it looks like this kernel bug
but it can't be.

I write this mostly to worn other users and maybe to know if this
happen to someone else.

Anyway, I'm happy that my server seems to work as I wanted at the end.
I will test it in a class room soon.