release name, release date, release number

Hi,

debian-edu-install is basically ready for another upload, but I dont want to
upload atm, because it contains the version number "4.0r0 luna alpha1" which
I believe is a bit unbeautiful ;-)

Yesterday on IRC we had a bit of discussion about this, in which I also added
my thoughts about our releases dates and point releases.

IMHO this should be discussed at the developer gathering in RL next week in
Oslo too (and then shared with the list).

<pere> [20:25:03] h01ger danielsan: note that I just picked a random version
number for d-e-install.  we should probably discuss which number we should
use before uploading.

<danielsan> [20:29:24] pere: good point

<pere> [20:35:57] danielsan: I talk about the "4.0r0 luna alpha1" version
string.

<danielsan> [20:38:29] but if noone is going to upload it, it does not need a
new version string (without the ~) and it's still unreleased

<pere> [20:46:00] I really hope someone will upload it.

* h01ger has no opinion on the codename ("luna") - i think that venus, terra,
luna are a "strange bunch" (not all planets), but they are all objects flying
around the sun (debian? :)

<h01ger> for the version number, i'm really undecided, but i think thats the
more important part

<h01ger> as you know, i'd like to release within debian...

<h01ger> i've been meaning to write a mail about this topic to the devel list
since some days/week, also to suggest a live discussion next week in oslo

<h01ger> i'm not sure if it's a possible idea, to release r0 with lenny, and
then do point releases apart from debian after r0 - or if this is something
we should strive for squeeze

<h01ger> i think, in general, we are ready to be debian ;)

<h01ger> OTOH, not sure how to handle stuff like the moodle removal

<h01ger> i've talked with luk at debconf8 about point releases like debian-edu
needs, in debian. and he told me, that people now complain about the less
strict (=more frequent) updates of stable (basically, some people dislike
them as every change for some is work, so they really only want critical or
security fixes). so then i came up with the idea of doing new suite called
lenny-feature-updates (similar to proposed-updates) - which would have less
strict rules than updates to stable. i'd really like to go this path for
squeeze, or maybe even lenny

<h01ger> so back to the version number.. debian etch was 4.0, while debian-edu
etch was 3.0. now debian lenny jumps to 5.0...

<h01ger> i'd like to match the version number when we are 100% in debian (at
least at the time of the r0 release, as said, i'm thinking of doing r0 at the
same time as debian, and then do a r1 after that, maybe even as soon as 2
weeks after :)

<h01ger> if you dont think releasing (r0) together with lenny is an option at
all, i'd vote for 4.5 now

<danielsan> h01ger: half way to debian?

<h01ger> (but i'd also could live with 4 (or whatever, but 4 is the 2nd best
imo)

<h01ger> danielsan, yup

So to summarize: I would vote for changing the version number to "4.5r0 luna"
now. And release with Debian lenny and plan for a point release shortly
after.

regards,
	Holger