Re: Etch half

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 10:59:40AM +0200, Valerio Pachera wrote:
>2008/10/2 Valerio Pachera <sirio81@gmail.com>:
>> Hi all, did any of you update to etch half?
>> Does it work?
>>
>> Did you update also the ltsp envirormet (chroot)? Did it work?
>>
>> More in general, do I have to do anything special to use another
>> kernel for the ltsp envirorment?
>
>Well...I did it, but I did somethin else too (to mess things up:)
>I made dist-upgrade on my debianedu installation.

What did you dist-upgrade?

* debian edu etch -> debian etchandhalf
* debian edu etch -> debian edu etch + debian etchandhalf
* debian edu etch -> debian edu lenny
* debian edu etch -> debian edu lenny + debian etchandhalf

>Before even try it, I crate an image of its partition with partimage (i
>have main, ltsp, workstation profile in one sistem on a single
>partition). After several day, I restored this image into a virtual
>machine (virtual box). I adjusted fstab, menu.lst, xorg.conf and it
>works.

Would be nice if you posted the actual changes you needed to make, so
this thread works not only as helpdesk for you but also is informational
for others with similar problems/interests, and for developers to
improve the situation.

>Problem: the network does not worl as aspected. The two "fake"
>ethernet card are called eth3 and eth4 instead of eth0 and eth2.
>I gues there's some association between mac address and device name.

This sounds like udev playing games with you.

Look at /usr/share/doc/udev/NEWS.Debian.gz (search for "net"), and more
specifically grep /etc/udev/rules.d/* for eth (the actual filename has
changed over time so no longer match documentation in the NEWS file).

If you (like me) dislike udev handling your naming of ethernet devices,
you can either (to use new homemade names) use ifrename or (to get the
old behavior of classic naming in the order you yourself choose to load
your NIC modules) avoid initramfs-tools and instead use yaird (which
does not invoke udev early in the boot process).

...but neither of these approaches is official Debian edu ones.

  - Jonas

- --