Re: cfengine-what can it do?

El jue, 11-09-2008 a las 16:33 +0200, Valerio Pachera escribió:
> Hi all, I was thinking that to install a new program in a class room
> using workstation is a big effor in time.
> Re-reading the services list in the documentation I noticed
> Automatic Configuration [cfengine]
>
> I read somthing about it but I have difficulties on understunding how
> it apply to debian-edu.
> What does it do?
> Can it solve the problem of installing programs on all the workstations?
> If not, are there other ways?

For that kind of task you should take a look to the pkgsync package.
It's really easy to use, and will avoid users installing non-desired
packages (must not have), force them to keep installed desired packages
(must have), and give them freedom to install some others (may have).
You only need to create three text files containing these three lists
and add these files to /etc/pkgsync directory at the computers.

Regards.
José L.