Re: Problems burning DVD

Computer assistance to Akatsi District wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have recently tried to burn the Skolelinux DVD
> (http://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu-etch-amd64-i386-powerpc-DVD-3.0r1.iso)
> but the first one didn't work (not able to boot on it, could not see
> any files in Explorer on the DVD) so i threw it away. I downloaded a
> new iso and burned it on 2x, verified. But when i insert the DVD,
> there is no files showing on the DVD. Can anybody help me to find out
> why it's not working. The first time i used "Iso burner" and the
> second time i used "Roxio" something.

step one is to verify that the iso image you download is correct.
compare the output of the command  " md5sum
debian-edu-etch-amd64-i386-powerpc-DVD-3.0r1.iso "
<http://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu-etch-amd64-i386-powerpc-DVD-3.0r1.iso>
with what you find in the file
http://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/MD5SUM
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ contains a windows md5sum tool if you
don't have a linux machine available.
if this is wrong you'r download file is broken, fix it by download
again, or using rsync.

step two is to write the iso. keep in mind the you should write the iso
as a image to the cd, not as a file.

now to doublecheck you can compare the md5sum of the finished cd with
the md5sum of the iso and what is on the file
http://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/MD5SUM
using the command  " md5sum /dev/cdrom "

if it all check out and it still fail to boot, i'd look at bios
settings. or trying a different cdrom unit.

good luck
Ronny