deb-edu-netinst: grub prob?

Dear list,

recently, a pupil of mine installed deb-edu 3.0r1 netinst.
The process went well - but after reboot grub couldn't locate menu.lst.

The installation went w/o LVM, but approx. 4 partitions:
 hda1:/boot
 hda5:swap
 hda6:/
 hda7:/usr

The fastest fix was to re-install - this time I used only 3 partitions:
 hda1: /
 hda5:swap
 hda6:/var

My suspicion is that grub is not installed propperly when /boot has
another partition. In menu.lst root was set to (hd0,0)...

Just in case anybody has seen similar cases...

Cheers
Ralf