Re: Do we need all these duplicate packages on the CD?

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

 cpp-4.1_4.1.2-19_i386.deb
 gcc-4.1-base_4.1.2-19_i386.deb
 gcc-4.1_4.1.2-19_i386.deb
 gcj-4.1-base_4.1.2-16_i386.deb

I guess that #374049 is one reason that gcc-4.1 stuff is pulled in.
I forced 4.[23] in some library packages I recently packaged by shipping
a patched d-shlibmove in the debian directory.  Junichi is on VAC for
the moment and so probably not much will happen.

Dropping the duplicate dependency will give us more space on the CD
for user applications.

Definitely!

I have not investigated why these packages are pulled into the CD, but
suspect a few rebuilds to get newer dependencies will solve it.  A few
might also be solvable by just rejecting the unwated package(s) in the
tasks.

I currently have no time to verify my guessing above but someone should
perhaps try to find out which libraries are linked against libstdc++6-4.1
and whether rebuilding them with a patched d-shlibmove might be helpful.
I stumbled uppon this problem when I tried to remove all packages that fit

    dpkg --get-selections | grep -- -4\.1

from my system.

Anyone with time to spare should investigate and try to get rid of the
older dependency.

Unfortunately not me, but perhaps the hint is helpful.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de