Re: Why is acroread so popular, and why are the free alternatives not good enough?

Am Friday, den 22 February hub Petter Reinholdtsen folgendes in die Tasten:

Hi!

> According to <URL:http://popcon.skolelinux.org/unknown/by_vote>,
> acroread is the most popular package in Debian Edu that is missing in
> Debian.  46% of the population got it installed, and 30% used it last
> week.  Anyone know why it is so popular?  What features does it
> provide that the free PDF viewers do not?  Is there anything we could
> do to fulfil this need with free software?

While migrating to a new print system we tested many PDF viewers and
printer "drivers" and found that acroread it the tool which sucks
less.

I can handle the greatest number of (broken) PDF files and it seems to
be the best option for a PDF -> PS converter on the CUPS server.

All other tools (xpdf, kpdf, evince, youNameIt) had more problems and
sometimes refused to show a PDF file or showed crap on screen/paper.

Ciao
Max
--
	Follow the white penguin.