Re: Why is acroread so popular, and why are the free alternatives not good enough?

El vie, 22-02-2008 a las 03:10 -0500, Kevin Mark escribió:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:00:02AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > According to <URL:http://popcon.skolelinux.org/unknown/by_vote>,
> > acroread is the most popular package in Debian Edu that is missing in
> > Debian.  46% of the population got it installed, and 30% used it last
> > week.  Anyone know why it is so popular?  What features does it
> > provide that the free PDF viewers do not?  Is there anything we could
> > do to fulfil this need with free software?
> >
> > Happy hacking,
> > --
> > Petter Reinholdtsen
> Maybe its that folks see websites asking for acrobat and that acroread
> is what adobe makes in linux, so folks just install it. So maybe these
> folks need to be educated that evince is just as good and can now
> fill-in forms. Although it maybe that folks tried evince and found
> something lacking which lead to them installing acroread. I have using
> evince for a while and I have no need for acroread since I started using
> it, so that is just my experience. Is there somewhere in the -edu
> install, notes, etc. to tell folks 'you don't need acroread'?

Ok, I'm an evince user too, and it fullfils all my needs, but from time
to time I install acroread to compare evince advances/differences. Still
today acroread parses pdf with many graphics about 300% faster than
evince/xpdf/etc.. If I were a user who use to read manuals with many
graphics or scanned books in pdf (something very common between aMule
users at university) I would use acroread, as rendering of big graphics
with free pdf readers is pretty painful.
Also, management of fpdf is not complete in the free pdf readers, and
that's something many companies (and public administrations use).

So, in brief: for 80% of users free pdf readers are more than enough
(and they open faster than acroread) but, for fdf users and pdf with big
and high resolution graphics acroread still wins.

Regards.
José L.