Re: new versioning policy

Holger Levsen wrote:
Hi,

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/ArchivePolicy currently says:

6. The version number for the packages debian-edu, debian-edu-config and debian-edu-install should be of the form 0.415.0.edu.etch.1+svn38891 when uploading to the debian-edu repository, and on the form 0.415 when uploading to the debian repository.

As we now have the new dak version running, I suggest we change this, to make use of the ~ in versions. To summarize this:

<vagrantc> ~ just means "a little before" <vagrantc> so -3~* will always be smaller than -3

So I suggest to rewrite it to:

--------------
6. The version number for the packages uploaded to debian-edu should always be lower than the version in Debian (if the source packages content is identical except for the changelog). This should be achieved by using ~ in version numbers, adding ~edu.etch+1 for uploads to etch and ~edu.lenny+1 for uploads to lenny.

As ~ can be used more than once, svn versions should be written as 0.415~svn38891-1 (for debian) and 0.415~svn38891-1~edu.lenny+1 (for debian-edu lenny).

Comments?

I think it's a good idea. More logical (in my mind), to keep the major part of the version number identical in local and debian.

We should also rewrite pkt 5 to take the new versioning scheme into account.
for example..

We recommend to use specific version strings for our backports so if you have a debian revision number -1 you should use -1~edu.suite+1, where "suite" is for instance "sarge" or later "etch".

Kind regards
Ronny Aasen