Re: Cdd-dev switch done (Was: creation of branches in svn)

On Friday 21 December 2007, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> El vie, 21-12-2007 a las 10:53 +0100, Andreas Tille escribió:
> > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > > [Andreas Tille]

> > > Yes.  I believe it is unlikely that we will upload a new version of
> > > debian-edu for r2, and the generated package lists are as far as I
> > > know, identical with and without the cdd-dev stuff.
> >
> > As promised I just checked in the cdd-dev change.  Please note that
> > I explicitely ask you to join the cdd-dev package uploaders (Petter
> > is just a member - I guess Cosima Alfarano is MIA on this package).
> > The SVN repository is
> >
> >      http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/cdd/trunk/cdd/
> >
> > .... I'm waiting for your fixes / enhancements in case something
> > works different from your expectations.
> >
> > What will be the future roadmap of CDD tools?
> >
> >    1. I'm currently working on enhancing the Debian menu system
> >       support for CDD.  Currently we have user menus that do not
> >       scale for larger installations.  I try to enhance this by
> >       using desktop-profiles as it is used by Debian Edu for
> >       freedesktop.org menus.
> >    2. Supporting freedesktop.org menus with the same goal in
> >       mind as I had for menus: Use as much as possible from the
> >       stuff that is provided by the official package - change
> >       only if necessary.
>
> How do you purpose to change when needed? ¿using dpkg-divert? In Debian
> the freedesktop.org menu structure are conffiles (/etc/xdg/menus) so
> that could be a problem...

Freedesktop provides the option of stacked configuration directories,
/etc/xdg is just the only config directory in XDG_CONFIG_DIRS by default.

-> by adding a higher priority config directory to XDG_CONFIG_DIRS you can
override anything in /etc/xdg, including the menu settings
in /etc/xdg/menus

desktop-profiles provides the mechanism to add in the extra config
directories once they're created
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)