Re: why lenny-test and not sid (Re: dak archive system down)

I believe it is important that we use different repository names than
the ones in Debian.  Holgers claim that any confusion can be removed
by just using 'uploaded to debian' instead of 'uploaded to sid' is not
valid, as 'uploaded to debian' can mean a lot of things (experimental,
*-proposed-updates, etc), while 'uploaded to sid' is specific.  To
avoid confusion and have specific names with a well known meaning, I
believe our repositories need to have unique names.

Also, as we need to build our lenny packages using the dependencies
from lenny, and not from debian/sid, it would be misleading to claim
that we upload to 'sid' when in fact we are uploading to the
equivalent of lenny-proposed-updates.

What about using an 'edu-' prefix on our names?  Like edu-lenny and
edu-lenny-test / edu-lenny-proposed-updates?

I must admit, I do not share Holgers view that the *-test names were a
mistake, and fail to see how using the same names as in Debian can
cause anything bug confusion.

But I believe it is important that there is a well known mapping
between Debian repository names and our names, so it is easy to see
that our etch-based repositories is exactly that.  Using something
like edu-etch would give us that mapping.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinhoildtsen