Re: need help!

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:56:50 +0100, Ronny Aasen <ronny@skolelinux.no>
wrote:

Herman Robak wrote:
Why can't the OS have the Getting Started embedded in it? Computers are
very good at storing and presenting data, in an interactive fashion.
I know it puts more work on the developer's shoulders.  But in the big
scheme of things it costs less man-hours, making the World a better place and all that jazz ;-)

It sounds to me that what you want is a live cd that you can boot, observe the instant gratification, read the docs/presentations and then choose to install from (preferably using fai) and at that point you can install what is needed for the separate profiles. installing n GB of packages only to remove them again is not efficient.

  This is likely a one-time operation.  If the user really needs hand-
holding it _doesn't matter_ that the computer's efforts to make things
easy are sub-optimal.  In such cases the user is the great bottleneck!
You can try and upgrade the user (good luck!) or you let the computer
spend a few more CPU minutes on a gentle detour.

I agree that for the compleate newcomer a console login screen can be confusing, but why did he install main server only then, it's not like there is no explanation what the profiles are before the choise.

  With software, it is often wise to defer choices until the last moment,
which may be during or after the installation.  Before that time, the
user may not know or care what to choose.

--
Herman Robak