Re: network setup?

Ronny Aasen wrote:
Frank Lienhard wrote:
Hi there.

I run a testinstall of debian-edu (as homenetwork for my family)
I'm used to the debian installer, so no problems with expert-install.
But although I configured my network to 192.168.1.* it comes up with:
eth0 as 10.0.0.2 and
eth1 as 192.168.0.* (which is i.O, because it's for the clients, if I'm
right)

So I edited the /etc/network/interfaces to my subnet, to be able to
upgrade and install things over the net.
But nevertheless which packagemanager I use (adept, aptitude) I get
webcache errore like this:
"webcache failed on 10.0.0.2:3184"
there's a bug (1054) mentioned in bugzilla, but it only says it will do
no harm (well no install, no upgrade is harm to me)

any hints?

hint: If you dont want to read the docs.
Guilty!
don't change the default values.
and don't let the installer be able to run the network config, which then is changed to default without a note.
debian-edu is made for schools with an admin with less then 4h a week for it administration. Changing the ip configuration is a large task. it's usualy easier to change the ip of the router, then to change the network ip config.

Only if you don't have a network running (with 'the-other-OS'), which depends on the routers IP.
Which  -I guess-  is often the case.

documentation:
http://wiki.skolelinux.no/DebianEdu/Documentation/Etch/
Especialy the requirements and gettingstarted are worth reading.

if you insist on changing the ip subnet, read:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/HowTo/ChangeIpSubnet

Thanks for that