Some other ideas

As some of you know, at LinEx (Extremadura) we're working in the merge
with Debian Edu.
Currently we're keeping a meeting where we're analyzing some of the
differences between both setups.

For the Squid configuration we're using since last September almost the
same configuration Debian Edu has. The only difference is this simple
text added to squid.conf:

##############################

acl no_ie browser MSIE
http_access deny no_ie
#allowing windowsupdate with ie:
acl windowsupdate dstdomain .windowsupdate.com
acl windowsupdate dstdomain .microsoft.com
acl windowsupdate dstdomain .public-trust.com
acl windowsupdate dstdomain .windows.com
acl windowsupdate dstdomain .webiqonline.com
acl windowsupdate dstdomain 207.46.224.158
acl windowsupdate dstdomain .msn.com
always_direct allow windowsupdate
http_access allow windowsupdate

##########################

There is a powerful reason to add this: avoid windows machines using
Internet Explorer (there're still some old windows in our schools, or
some new windows in Vocational Teaching departments). Quite (very) often
it's a source of viruses, trojans, etc. that steal most of the bandwith
of the schools networks. With this setup Outlook can not show online
texts in the mails either.

Windows users must switch to other browsers as Firefox or Opera. The
last part of the config is to allow MS machines do their needed security
updates.

Maybe this could be useful for Debian Edu too. For LinEx is a must.

Regards.
José L.