Re: Ltsp Diskless Workstation (Low Fat Client)-questions

That mail is a bit long, pelase take 5 minutes to read it carefully.

> You need to relogin. lwat 0.17 will require you to logged in as a user
> (either ldap admin, a member of the admin group, or a normal user) to
> use lwat.

That was true!!!!

> You also need to add the host to a netgroup. When a host is added to
> ldap through lwat, it's also possible to adwd the host to a netgroup
> (primarily for NFS for now), or to create a samba account for it to
> allow it to be joined into a samba-domain.

After relogged into lwat,by the menù "machines", I added my host
client and associated it to the "workstation-hosts" group.
Doing that (correct me if I'm worng) the host is capable to mount the
root filesystem from /opt/ltsp
(that is defined in /etc/exports: "/opt/ltsp 10.0.2.0/255.255.254.0")
and i also capable to mount the home directory
(in /etc/exports: "/skole/tjener/home0 @workstation-hosts").

Before, not being associated to workstation-hosts group, the client
wasn't capable to mount the home directory even tough it was booting
the system correctly.
Is not possible to log in like root from the client because the /root
directory is not exported.

IT'S WORKING!!!
I have 4 users created days ago, belonging to the "students" group, to
use like test users.
For 15 minutes or more I was not capable to login and I was receiving
the message "could not start kstartupconfig. Check your installation."
exactly like when the home directories were missing (but they were
existing). I guess same cron script needed to be executed after the
machines have been added to the "workstations-group" with lwat.
I'm testing the diskless modality with a laptop (pentium 4 3,4Ghz
512Mb RAM) and a desktop (pentium 3 900Mhz, 312Mb RAM).
The laptio takes 44 second only to boot and it alway show the splashscreen;
the desktop takes 10 minutes to boot and is not showing the splascreen.

> The Hostname/mac-address/ip-name and domain is there for future
extension.

I don't undestund completly that: if they are not necessary, what does
identify the client?

---

Samthing strange happned:
After that suscces i tried to use both the clients like ltsp client
and they are very slow to load and, at the end, they were not capable
to load LDM or too much slow to be used.
I rebooted the server and tried now to rerun the laptop like diskless
workstation but it became very slow, almost blocked. (before was
taking only 44 seconds).
No splashimage shown.
:(
I want to cry !!!

Also the server is very slow: it takes 6 minutes to boot and it
doens't show the splashscreen.

I reported that problem in the mail "boot time". In it I was refearing
only to the server but now also the client are workin bad, (like Thin
client or like diskless workstation).

Any idea?

PS: the server is a laptop Asus A6Vm pentium M 1,73Ggz, 512Mb ram, an
integrated ethernet card (eth0) and a pcmcia ethernet cart (eth1).