Q: Howto spread news to users

Dear list,

(this posting reflects bug #1251)

based on several postings to different mailing lists, I started thinking
about how to implement some messaging system. I see two scenarios:

A user logs in and gets a daily message (motd?) which is displayed in a
KDE dialogue. If we call xpdf in fullscreen mode or use some other
tool, has to be decided. There might be cases where this message is
partly created on the fly (like: your printer quota is about to
expire), or where confirming the message (hereby you accept the users'
policy) is a condition to ongoing session.

Another scenario could be a systemwide message like "system is going
down for mainainance". This could be done by using xpdf -remote or any
other stuff.

We should design a ready-made messaging system (i.e. with a command line
api and possibly some web interface) that enables amateur admins
setting up such behaviour. We need to take care of Windows clients as
well. Here we could make use of local scripting (VBS?) and the NET SEND
service.

Any ideas?

1st approach: Spread a "pulling" message client via /etc/skel that looks
for messages after every login and displays them using kdialog or
likewise.

Regards
Ralf.