Re: openSUSE Edu-CD, some applications and the norwegian center for mathematic

El mié, 25-07-2007 a las 18:35 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen escribió:
> [José L. Redrejo Rodríguez]
> > I know geogebra and a lot of teachers use it here in
> > Extremadura. It's quite powerful and allows you prepare exercises
> > that are loaded as applet by the students using the webbrowser.
>
> Right.  So, if you have Debian packages already, it should be fairly
> easy to get them into Debian, at least in the contrib archive?

Not, they installed it using webstart, but a colleague of mine has begun
to work in the package, so I hope it will be ready pretty soon.

> > Geogebra is gpl'ed but I don't know a word about the current java
> > policy in Debian, as I guess they are waiting for Sun to change the
> > license as they promised. Otherwise, a java expert should see if
> > geogebra can be compiled with cgj. Anyway it's a very interesting
> > app for teachers for with almost all ages pupils.
>
> I know about about the status.  The license change already happend,
> but some parts of the SUN Java package is not released as GPL yet,
> because SUN lacked the rights required to change the license.  The
> Free Java community is working hard at the moment to merge in parts
> from the GNU Classpath project with the SUN Java package to get a
> completely free Java based on both.  This is called the icetea effort,
> check out <URL:http://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/Main_Page> for info
> on that work.  They already got it building, but it is not yet quite
> streamlined.  I expect them to have working packages in Debian during
> this autum.

Ok, those are worse news than what I thought, but better than a year
ago.

> To me this mean we should just start uploading java packages to
> debian/contrib, and get them building properly in Debian to be ready
> to move them to debian/main when the sun java packages arrive.  Or
> perhaps we can build them already with the free java implementation
> and just upload them straight into debian/main?  Only testing will
> show. :)

Ok, I'll sponsor geogebra as soon as it's ready.

Regards.
José L.