Re: openSUSE Edu-CD, some applications and the norwegian center for mathematic

[José L. Redrejo Rodríguez]
> I know geogebra and a lot of teachers use it here in
> Extremadura. It's quite powerful and allows you prepare exercises
> that are loaded as applet by the students using the webbrowser.

Right.  So, if you have Debian packages already, it should be fairly
easy to get them into Debian, at least in the contrib archive?

> Geogebra is gpl'ed but I don't know a word about the current java
> policy in Debian, as I guess they are waiting for Sun to change the
> license as they promised. Otherwise, a java expert should see if
> geogebra can be compiled with cgj. Anyway it's a very interesting
> app for teachers for with almost all ages pupils.

I know about about the status.  The license change already happend,
but some parts of the SUN Java package is not released as GPL yet,
because SUN lacked the rights required to change the license.  The
Free Java community is working hard at the moment to merge in parts
from the GNU Classpath project with the SUN Java package to get a
completely free Java based on both.  This is called the icetea effort,
check out <URL:http://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/Main_Page> for info
on that work.  They already got it building, but it is not yet quite
streamlined.  I expect them to have working packages in Debian during
this autum.

To me this mean we should just start uploading java packages to
debian/contrib, and get them building properly in Debian to be ready
to move them to debian/main when the sun java packages arrive.  Or
perhaps we can build them already with the free java implementation
and just upload them straight into debian/main?  Only testing will
show. :)

> I don't know anything about geonext. It's the fist time I hear about
> that app.

OK.

Happy hacking,