Re: OLPC: 175$ due to windows

Hi,

On Monday 30 April 2007 12:52, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> currently I read some irritating news about OLPC: Accordingly costs rise
> by 75% up to 175$ due to the decision for supporting windows as OS.

Thats wrong, made up by journalists who want a story. True is, the costs of
the laptop are higher than planned (but will go down if mass production
starts as planned) and Microsoft got some boards (or laptops, dunno exactly)
and now plans to port Windows to it.

The OLPC still supports (and plans to ship) free software, even if they call
it "open source" ;) See
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_on_open_source_software

Coming to the conclusion that OLPC now wants to boost Windows, because
Microsoft got some hardware is like saying OLPC switched to Debian, as some
boards also ended up at Debian people. (OLPC uses Fedora.)

regards,
	Holger