Re: Promotional buttons on web pages?

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, RalfGesellensetter wrote:

today, I "enhanced" http://tjener on our installation by two promotional
buttons/banners for Openoffice.org and Firefox. This induced some
considerations if we should do similar cross project support
- on our default pages in /var/www
- on our web portal(s)?

I'm reserved if it concerns promotional buttons.  What is the real
effect?  People who visit Debian-Edu (or Free Software sites in
general) will mostly know about OO and Firefox.  If they have choosen
a different office solution / browser they did it intentionally and
will not change anything because they see a button on a Debian-Edu
web site.  So what is the effect of such a button?

  - Helping OO or Firefox project?  Probably not.
  - Helping Debian-Edu?  Probably not.
  - Wasting bandwidth with unnecessary images?  Probably.
  - Bluring a web page with just another image?  Probably.

If you ask me it is a superfluous flavour of adopting advertising
habits of commercial world.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--