Re: Skolelinux in the media

Let me guess: Linda was gushing with praise about Edubuntu...

What a crock. D@mning with faint praise.

Mark

On 4/5/07, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 10:40:01PM +0200, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> searching google news for skolelinux, I hit on this recent report by Linda
> Hoover:
>
> http://www.technewsworld.com/story/56656.html
>
> "Stretching the Education Dollar With Linux"
>
> The article reviews several educational distros, including Skolelinux:
>
> "Skolelinux is a Norwegian Debian-based distribution that has gained a lot of
> traction because it installs easily from a single CD and requires minimal
> technical aptitude to maintain. Skolelinux comes with over 70 applications
> specifically tailored for classroom use, as well as the popular Firefox
> browser and the OpenOffice suite of word processing and spreadsheet
> applications. Although Skolelinux is a well-rounded and useful distribution,
> it's usefulness in the United States is limited by a substantial lack of
> support in English."
>
> Umph! Is there a point? Don't they know there is British locales aboard - and
> US-English should be a fingertip away...
>
> Please discuss and feed back ;)
What annoys me is that FLOSS is made by people who can be accessed by
email simply by visiting a website. And these folks seem to be unable to
go to the website and email someone. Maybe they think that FLOSS is like
Microsoft where you can not talk to anyone to ask a question? I cant
image who they got the impression that a FLOSS project did not support
more common languages, just like 99% of FLOSS projects?!
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|