Re: Automation Services

Hi Kurt,

I'm very new to all this, but excited to help this kind of
collaboration any way I can. I'm running a Skolelinux and Pluto server
at home, so have a convenient setup to test with.

All of Pluto's scripts, modules, and packages are available for download at:

http://plutohome.com/support/index.php?section=mainDownload&package=0

and there's also a link there to the project's svn repository.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do. I'd really like to
see these two projects come together somehow.

I've contacted Pluto's technical staff by phone and email to introduce
the idea of some form of collaboration, but haven't yet received a
reply (in over two weeks). If they're already on their way to Ubuntu,
it may well be up to us to make this happen with what they've left
behind.

Best Regards,

Mark

On 4/4/07, Kurt Gramlich <kurt@lugrav.de> wrote:
* Mark Trimble <matrimble@gmail.com> [070329 05:10]:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Though many out there may already be aware of this, I just recently
> found out about a Debian (sarge) based distribution called Pluto.
>
> http://plutohome.com
> http://plutohome.org

thanks for the info

> Though presently Pluto is designed for home automation, once you take
> a look at it you'll see the tremendous potential it offers to schools;
> particularly in the area of centralized media distribution. It's
> Orbiter interface for device control is incredible and revivals some
> very expensive (which for most schools means prohibitively expensive!)
> commercial control systems I've encountered at the university level.
> It's Core server appears to be configured similar to our Main server
> (dns, dhcp, ltsp, etc.), but it definitely lacks the kind of
> comprehensive user and system administration tools of Skolelinux.

multimedia support is getting more and more important, so i
support your idea

> Anyway, though I don't have the skills or experience to evaluate the
> real potential for some integration between Pluto and Skolelinux, I
> thought that there might be some out there who could and would be
> willing to. A collaboration would definitely add an entirely new
> dimension to what DebianEdu means to schools.

i agree, perhaps we could organize a workshop together

> BTW, apparently Pluto is seriously looking into a switch to Ubuntu, so
> there very well might be some orphaned Debian packages out there soon.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark

Regards/AmicaLinuxement/Saludos/Viele Gruesse!
Kurt Gramlich
--
kurt@skolelinux.de
GnuPG Key ID 0xE263FCD4