Re: cipux in NEW queue

On Tuesday 03 April 2007, Steffen Joeris wrote:
> The current point which needs to be discussed is the use of the
> cipux-rpc.postinst script. This script calls various cipux commands (or a
> cipux command which calls another cipux command ...) which in the end
> fills in LDAP data. Note that I did not completely examine the script, so
> somebody else might want to give an explanation here. My personal
> understanding is, to put it into a nutshell, that cipux needs to fill in
> the LDAP data with own attributes in order to function.

> I would consider this as a violation of the debian policy, because it adds
> (without noticing) ldap data which no admin would expect while installing
> it and

wethere this breaks debian-policy is dependend on wether you mess with
configuration files of other packages, as long as you don't do that it's
not only allowed but fairly common to add configuration.

(just check the number of *.d directories under /etc/, as madduck said in
his fosdem talk, I think the .d stands for debian :)

> it gets not removed during a purge.

If it's purely configuration of the package then it should be removed on
purge, afterall that's what purge is for.

If on the other hand we're also talking about other data then a lot packages
seem to handle this by adding a low priority debconf question about wether
or not to remove the data on purge (e.g. newservers ask wether to delete
the news-archive, database-servers ask wether to delete the databases, ...)

IIUC the second case applies here.

> My question now is concerning debian-edu, is it really necessary to
> change the LDAP data and if so why?

I haven't looked at this what exactly is changed, and how?
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)