Re: Documenting unavailability of localization-config in Etch's release notes

On Monday 26 March 2007 19:08, Christian Perrier wrote:
> IMHO, l-c should completely be dropped out from unstable. In the
> future, when we identify l10n/i18n releated things that need to bo
> configured according to the system locale, we should work on them
> with package maintainers, not circumvent the problem.

Just one note here. I didn't comment in the thread, because I agree
with most that is said and didn't find anything else to add. However,
I would suggest to postpone dropping l-c out completely. The reason
is l-c's initial origin. It was not a Debian package, but a
Debian-Edu/Skolelinux package, originally written by Petter
Reindholdsten, which I modified to use in Debian.

Yes, I agree completely that it was a policy violation, but I disagree
that it was an "ugly hack", in fact it was quite simple and elegant
in how it modified the configurations scripts, and to my knowledge it
never broke a system due to misconfiguration -which is what "ugly
hacks" do most of the time. At the time of sarge it was the only
available way to handle localization. So please, try not to insult
other people's work when you make such comments.

In any case, I'm not writing this email to justify my or Petter's
work, I know exactly what l-c's purpose was and how good or bad it
is. What I'm suggesting is that there might be some use for it in
Debian-Edu still -which is why I am cc'ing to this list. Debian-Edu
has a much more relaxed policy for configuring other packages'
configuration files at install-time, and it might need this package
yet to handle some packages that don't properly handle themselves. I
guess, all it needs is some word from Petter or other Skolelinux lead
developer to state that "we don't need l-c anymore, you can drop it
from unstable" or "no, please don't drop it, we still use it".

FWIW, in about a few weeks I'll be much more able to work on Debian
stuff, as I'll move to my new offices -I just started my own company-
where I'll be able to work without the constant need to interrupt my
work due to babysitting :-)
I will definately start working on Debian-Edu again, since it is a
part of my business here as well - I'm promoting a country-wide
Skolelinux solution and there is a pilot program now, where I managed
to have 13 schools try and test Skolelinux and compare it with other
solutions -Edubuntu, Citrix, Tarantela, etc.

So. Just a little patience, I'm not gone, I'm just busy maintaining
package Baby v1.0 :-)

Regards

Konstantinos