Re: should we ship iceweasel (firefox) on the first cd?

Hi,

On Thursday 01 March 2007 22:17, Knut Yrvin wrote:
> 1. Using a unbranded globe, could make the similarities good
>   enough for schools.

I'm starting to think (after reading the whole thread) that for etch it might
be the best to drop iceweasel from the first CD: a.) we need more space b.)
people then have the choice to either apt-get install iceweasel from Debian
or download the i386 tgz from Mozilla. (Or even both ;)

For Lenny we should have a decent free-desktop icon theme, looking similar for
kde and gnome.

And hopefully by then, the Mozilla Foundation understood this: currently
Debian cannot patch and rebuild Mozilla, because the Mozilla Foundation
doesnt allow it, as it would hurt Mozillas reputation (the M. Foundation
says!), <irony>as this has happened with the Linux kernel, OpenOffice.org,
apache and countless other software</irony>.

Debian needs to (be able to) patch and rebuild to be able to do security
support. (The same applies to Debian-Edu btw.)

I also hope, that the Mozilla Foundation will change it's policies regarding
this in the future. Sometimes Foundations move slower than what's desirable.

> 2. Deliberate a bit more with Mozilla Foundation, because the Debian
>   people did not have time for now to negotiation. Canonical pulled
>   this of.

Knut, can you please rephrase that, I dont understand what you mean.

> 3. Pulling in Mozillas packages for Debian (if that exists).

No.

> 4. Replacing the Whole Firefox with Konqueror, using a look allike free
> icon, and make the settings in Konqueror identical to look and feel in
> Firefox (this is doable).

I don't think this would solve the issue at hand.

> I got contacts whit graphical designers able to make a free icon that gives
> nice look and feel, based on the Artic fox.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_fox

Doesnt the iceweasel icon look like this already? Hm, no:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Iceweasel_icon.png - but putting this
weasel on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Deer_Park_Globe.png (the
official unbranded firefox-logo) might work.

regards,
	Holger