Re: should we ship iceweasel (firefox) on the first cd?

[Halvor Dahl]
> From a marketing perspective it would be a complete disaster to
> remove iceweasel (Firefox) or OpenOffice.org which has also been
> suggested.  Firefox and OpenOffice.org are by far the two best brand
> names ever produced by the open source community, and we really need
> that extra help.  I would much rather have two CDs.

Yeah.

> Whether Firefox is "better" than konqueror or not is not really that
> interesting.

Well, actually it is, because firefox will always be available for
download and thus 'available' in debian-edu.  We are talking about
what will be installed by default and available on the first CD, not
what will be available for debian-edu.  And we want as much useful
functionallity as possible on the first CD, not everything. :)

> The effort of explaining that iceweasel and Firefox is actually the
> same thing is already more than enough, but I suppose there is no
> way we can keep the Firefox name in Skolelinux.  Or is it?

Nope, do not believe so.  The Firefox Foundation do not allow the name
firefox to be used on a package were debian is in control of the
package content, and we do not want to maintain a separate package for
debian-edu.

But looking at the current user numbers from popcon.skolelinux.org, I
suspect both iceweasel and OpenOffice.org will stay on the first
CD. :)

Friendly,