Re: Q: Diskless Workstations (Sarge)

RalfGesellensetter wrote:
Dear list,

our wiki has got some instructions at

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/HowTo/LtspDisklessWorkstation

(thanks, Nigel, for your confirmation). The howto leave some questions to me:

At some point, a combo server is mentioned to be apt for diskless clients. According to (7.), those are connected to eth0 (10.0.2.0/23).
- If we install LTSP/Diskless client server on a different machine, we
obviously need to configure DHCP servers on _two_ machines. Is this a real problem?
no you only need 1 dhcp server, the one on the main server. But you need to add the next-server and the filename to that dhcp config. the ip address you specify will be the diskless server.

the dhcp range will use one next-server ip address. And by specifying mac addresses in dhcpd.conf, you can have each of those clients use a separate diskless server.

You can only have 1 dhcp server for a given subnet. The howto expects a separate main server and thin client server(diskless server), but it will work with a combined server too.

- Within the backbone net, now our diskless client server's DHCP competes with tjener. But diskless clients will request for PXE/tftp while normal workstations just go for DHCP. Is this distinction enough to serve both type of clients on the backbone? Or is it compulsary to make both servers ignore unknown MAC addresses?
again: one 1 dhcp server in a giver subnet. but the dhcp server points the client to the correct tftp server using next-server

Ronny Aasen