Re: Automatic proxy configuration

Am Freitag, den 09.02.2007, 18:59 +0100 schrieb cobaco (aka Bart
Cornelis):
> On Friday 09 February 2007 13:16, Patrick Winnertz wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > at the moment we ship our kde with preconfigured proxy for konqueror,
> > and if someone uses firefox he has to manually configure the proxy for
> > it. (profile ltspserver).
> > What do you think of an automatic configuration for browsers. It is
> > possible to ship such informations with dns or dhcp, to make the browser
> > run an script where the proxy informations are stored in.
>
> kde is preconfigured to use the contents of http_proxy and ftp_proxy
> environment variables ar proxy.
>
> > I think it would be a great idea to ship such an configuration tool with
> > skolelinux, this would solve in my eyes some issues:
>
> The addon at [1] makes firefox follow those variables as well
>
> [1] https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3896/

okay, but this have to be installed by _every_ user.. not that good
solution.

I think it will do no harm if we use this automatic configuration
script.
Browsers which use the env vars, will use them, browsers which doesn't
know about them will look for this script. everything will work out of
the box ;-) and i think this is what we want.

Greetings
Patrick