Re: Automatic proxy configuration

On Friday 09 February 2007 13:16, Patrick Winnertz wrote:
> Hey,
>
> at the moment we ship our kde with preconfigured proxy for konqueror,
> and if someone uses firefox he has to manually configure the proxy for
> it. (profile ltspserver).
> What do you think of an automatic configuration for browsers. It is
> possible to ship such informations with dns or dhcp, to make the browser
> run an script where the proxy informations are stored in.

kde is preconfigured to use the contents of http_proxy and ftp_proxy
environment variables ar proxy.

> I think it would be a great idea to ship such an configuration tool with
> skolelinux, this would solve in my eyes some issues:

The addon at [1] makes firefox follow those variables as well

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3896/

> - Browsers (like Opera) which are not yet automatically configured by
> our installation would then be configured by this setup.

I'm not sure about opera but most unix-browsers and tools (wget, links,
lynx, ..) will check the http_proxy variable.
--
cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)