Re: Meeting 2006-01-08 (Very Soon)

[Vagrant Cascadian]
> i noticed the next meeting is coming up real soon (i.e. tomorrow). i
> won't be able to attend, but figured i'd share some thoughts that
> might be worth discussion.

You are not the only person announcing your absense at this meeting.
Are we going to be enough people to actually hold a meeting?  I do not
want to set aside an hour for a meeting if no-one show up for it.

> at the moment, the agenda looks really sparse:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting
>
> still needs a moderator, log collector and sumary writer, as well as
> some things to discuss.

I added myself as the moderator.

> things that might be worth discussion:
>
> i think debian-edu may experience some problems due to changes in xorg,
> it certainly causes problems for ltsp, and i would suspect maybe
> debian-edu workstation installs too:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/405726
> http://bugs.debian.org/405639

Hm, yeah.  I hope it will be fixed soon.  I have not tested the CD for
a while now, but expect we are hit by it, yes.

> some good news is that ltspfs (local device access with
> thin-clients) is now in debian/unstable. it's still probably too
> late for etch, but at least that will make backporting easier. from
> what i've heard, ltspfs is able to mount the remote filesystems, but
> doesn't necessarily create icons on the desktop in KDE. i haven't
> heard reports of using it with other desktops, such as
> GNOME. further verification would be useful.

Really good news, yes.  I know Ronny has been spending some time
testing this.  I hope he have positive results to report. :)

> a process i've seen work in other groups that also makes subsequent
> meetings easier is making a "Review of Commitments" section of the
> agenda. any commitments made during the meeting (or possibly on the
> mailing list) can be added to the list for future meetings.

That is probably a good idea, to be able to track progress and if
people are fulfilling their commitments. :)

> i hope the meeting goes well! (though it sounds like a few other
> people also won't be able to make it)

Yeah.  Perhaps those planning to attend could raise their voice, so we
know there will be some people present? :)

Friendly,