Adding amd64 port for debian-edu? (Was: Meeting summary from todays Debian Edu IRC meeting)

[Holger Levsen]
> I've added a new topic for next monday: the amd64 port. I got a
> reply on my blogpost about it, and someone is interested in helping
> us in testing it. Or can we just decide on the list, that we can and
> want to build amd64 packages and CDs?

Sure, we can decide it on the list.  The meetings are to increase the
level of coordination and decision making, not the only arena for
it. :)

I'm reluctantly positive to making amd64 images.  On the plus side:

 - Those wanting 64bit linux get a native image.

 - Get an architeture with support for a larger address space

On the negative side

 - Yet another architecture to support.

 - Increases the storage requirements as we need to archive binary CDs
   and possibly DVDs for another architecture.

 - Increases load on build server.

 - Will it be hard to provide java packages for it?  What about
   macromedia flash?

Did I forget anything?  Why do you want to provide an amd64 port?