Re: mandatory profiles

Am Dienstag 29 August 2006 16:55 schrieb Sebastiaan Laget:
> I've been a sys admin in schools in antwerp for 4 years. For 4 years
> now i've used a "debian sarge" server with samba acting as an NT4
> Domain controller.
>
> This summer i started looking at debian/edu becouse i want to start
> using LTSP and it looks very promising, however i'm missing some
> basic profile managment.

Hi Sebastiaan,

nice to hear from you - so welcome on this list.
(Just in case you have a school running Debian-Edu.
please tell us, or even better: let's put a spot on
the map by entering your school to our database ;)

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/ReferenceSchools

Let me quickly answer your questions from my personal view:

1. We are free software developers and most of us are happy not to need
to get into MS Windows. Our aim is to provide all needed to make
schools use Debian on their servers AND on their clients.

However if we get hints on how to improve the samba side,
we won't hinder implementing them. I think also, that
mandatory profiles for windows would promote linux even more
- because under KDE pupils like personalizing their desktops ;)

Maybe you can put a description how to achive this on
wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu or you send us links to files that need to be
on the CD.

2. With Cipux user administration, you can restore user settings with
one click. Real mandatory profiles can be done (in theory) using the
kiosk mode of KDE. During aKaDEmy in Dublin, we should stress our need
for centralised desktop definitions. There were plans to have this done
by cfengine, but myself have never found satisfying instructions...

3. This is also done by Cipux (settings of course leader are synced to
course members) IIRC

Kind regards
Ralf